Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Taj Addis Washburn

Taj Addis Washburn
Born: November 3, 2009
8 pounds and 2.4 ounces
27 hours of labor followed by caesarian birth

Our blog took a hiatus for a while. And I got a little inspiration to start it back up when my cousin started her pregnancy blog. So, here goes.

At the end of 2009, we were on our delayed honeymoon in Thailand having a jolly good time. No, we didn't get pregnant there, but we were thinking of it. When we returned, we decided it was time to think about it and low and behold little Taj was conceived. At the same time, Ethan had made the committment to himself to quit smoking. Low and behold, he quit smoking the same week and there was no turning back for him with such a great anniversary date and all.

Well, as Ethan learned that he had tastebuds and I had cravings for milk & dairy, particularly the frozen creamy sweet kind, we gained a few pounds together and got excited and 'prepared' for baby. Now I must say, everyone always talks about preparing for baby, but really how much preparing can you do for sleepless nights, unimaginable birth, and the joys of parenthood. We never did paint the spare bedroom, that could have been a preparation.

Slowly I grew (and Ethan stopped growing) and we eagerly anticipated our unknown gender child. The fact that we didn't want to know the sex was really a point of conversation. It made gift buying difficult and it made my mother extremely aggitated. But, I knew in my heart from day one that it was a boy.

I never actually went into labor that I remember. We were home, Ethan had contracted some weird sickness (not flu and we now figure it was dengue fever)and I was home nursing him. I had stopped work a few weeks early as my feet were like little sausages and the stress was starting to play havoc on my blood pressure. While Ethan sweat and shivered through 103 degree fevers (maxed out at 104.1), I crossed my legs and failed to notice that my water was broken, or should I say leaking. This was on Sunday and I knew I had a appointment the next day at the clinic. The next day appointment was in the PM, not the AM and they were surprised that I was not contracting because that was my water that was broke. So, I called Ethan and informed him I would be coming home to collect his fevered body to go to the hospital, it was time.

I got home to find him bundled up in sweatshirt and jeans (it was 85+ degrees out) and he informed me his latest fever reading was 103. Yet, he insisted on driving because thats what the about-to-be-daddy is supposed to do. Meanwhile, no contractions on my part.

We get to the hospital and I inform the admitting doctor that I would like an all natural birth plan and tell her that I don't want pain medicines, etc etc. She hears me out and then says, well, its not going to happen that way. You have preeclampsia. We need to get your blood pressure down (200/100), you are at risk of seizures, so you need to take magnesium sulfate for that. You aren't contracting, thats a problem and your water has been broke for 18 hours which mean baby is at risk for an infection. Aaahhhh.

After a long night of medicine mixing to get my contractions going but my blood pressure down. I was having 'back labor' because baby was OP or spine to spine with me which are extremely painful. It was finally time to push. And push I did. Once for an hour and then again for almost two hours. My mother showed up straight from the hospital just in time for the second pushing session and for the doctor to say, I don't think this baby is going to make it down your cervix, I think we need to cut it out.

My caesarian section was amazing and quick. They had me prepped and ready and once I had the spinal, it took them 8 minutes to cut the baby out and 16 to sew me back up. I was awake long enough for them to say, "its a boy" before I passed out and snored through the rest of the procedure.

Its been 8 weeks now and I am adjusting to motherhood well. I can't get enough of this little guy and nor can his daddy. We are totally smitten by him. And most people tell us how he really is a cute newborn, not just saying it but really he is.

His eyes are still blue although we know they can change up until he is 2 years old. He is starting to get a bit of baby fat and is really healthy.

They say nothing can prepare you for the love and admiration you have for this this little life and it is so true. I never could imagine loving this little guy as much as I do.....

Pictures to come soon.

No comments: